Are you a machine shop looking for a bay area anodizer? Here are some things you’ll want to consider when choosing one.
- OEM Approved?: Are they approved for the OEM you are using? Some shops try and save money by using a low cost anodizer that is not approved by the OEM that the parts are being made for. This corner cutting is always a mistake and sooner or later the OEM will catch wind of it and can result in disqualification of the machine shops (we’ve seen it happen!). It’s always best practice to ask the OEM for an approved vendor list and work off of that as a starting point.
- OTD and Quality:? If the parts are not for an OEM or you have multiple vendors to choose from. Ask a few of the local anodizers for their OTD and quality numbers. This will give you a quick insight into whether or not they are worth even having a discussion with. It is worth noting that often times the highest quality anodizers have longer lead times or lower on time delivery simply because they are in high demand.
- Technical Capabilities? You’ll want to partner with an anodizer who has strong technical capabilities that can troubleshoot issues as they arrise, because they certainly will. Weak anodizers will often simply blame the machine shops for any and every defect that arises. While part incoming condition does have a lot to do the with the outcome quality, the burden should be equally shared by the anodizer.
- Customer Service? One of the final considerations of choosing a bay area anodizer will be how good their customer service is. You’ll want to partner with one who provides fast quotes and follows up quickly when asked for status. OEMs are demanding and want constant updates from their suppliers so the last thing you want to be stuck with is an unresponsive supplier.
- Price and Value? Price is what you pay, value is what you get is often said. This is very true in the anodizing business. While a lower price is often nice in the short run, it creates a lot of headaches in the long run if there is no value being provided.
Here at Semano, we will love the opportunity to win your business. Feel free to reach out to us via the contact us page and we’d be happy to sit down with you and share our numbers with you.